Full of beans!
Caffè Nero is an Italian style coffee shop chain with its headquarters in London. The company runs more than 600 coffee shops in the UK alone and has been crafting fine Italian coffee internationally since 1997. In fact, Nero has been voted ‘No 1 coffee company in the UK’ for nine of the last ten years*.
We connected with the Internal Communications Manager from Nero’s UK HQ on social media and over a coffee or two, we discussed the plan to improve and enhance Nero News. As a busy business with over 3000 employees, there’s no shortage of news to share and stories to shout about. The challenge was to take the look and feel to another level. We were provided with a selection of magazines and publications as examples of the desired style and asked to present some exciting new concepts, exploring ways to extend reach, readership and interactions amongst employees. Crucially, content was to be based on the principle of employees belonging to the Nero family.
" Our company newsletter needed a refresh and I was looking for creative help to really deliver something exciting. I met with a number of agencies and I chose Alan and the team at Alive to help me with my project. The reason was simple – they totally got it. They were flexible and a pleasure to work with and I will certainly be seeking their help with future projects. " - Baz MacLennan | Internal Communications Manager
Project objectives included:
- Maintain and enhance high levels of visual content
- Publications to be printed due to limited internet access at many outlets
- Create an illustrative approach to incorporate store photography
- Present facts and figures in a more interesting and engaging way
- Consider additional supplements for other areas of the business
- Create clear sectioning of content
Key points for consideration:
- Create engaging and captivating covers
- Allow for future development of a digital format
- Clearly defined, standout pieces of feature content
- Content to be used to share employees’ successes
- Appeal to a wide and varied audience
The result is a bright, bold and employee-friendly internal newsletter that’s now jam-packed full of engaging articles, entertaining features, feel-good stories, informative facts and inspiring imagery. Nero News incorporates a number of different elements including a note from Neil, the UK MD, photo roundups, customer compliments, tips of the week, stores in focus, job vacancies and ‘Nero’ around the world. A personalised and adaptable addition to Nero’s engaging internal communications toolkit with its own unique identity.